Southam Magistrate’s Court

Cardall's Corner - Feb 2020 - Bransby Thomas

In 1227 the Prior of Coventry obtained a statute allowing Southam a weekly market, thereby giving it Town status. Because of its market town status, Southam was chosen ...

2020-06-08T19:01:54+01:00February 6th, 2020|Cardall's Corner, Places|0 Comments

Christmas in Southam Workhouse

Cardall's Corner - Dec 2019 - Linda Doyle

The workhouse was the last place anyone wanted to be, whatever time of year, but especially so at Christmas. Whilst the poorest people could survive during ...

2020-06-08T19:04:02+01:00December 6th, 2019|Cardall's Corner, People, Places|0 Comments

Southam’s Workhouse

Cardall's Corner - June 2018 - By Linda Doyle

Today, Southam’s Primary School stands where once stood Southam’s solemn and imposing Victorian workhouse (see photograph from 1910). It was a domineering place built in 1837 on Welsh Road West, then called Workhouse Road. The enclosure of land at Southam in 1761 brought to a head the need to provide for the poor …

2019-05-22T22:56:56+01:00June 4th, 2018|Cardall's Corner, Places|4 Comments

Southam’s Rectory

Cardall's Corner - May 2018 - By Linda Doyle

Over the years Southam town centre has had many changes, but one of the more dramatic was when the old Southam Rectory (see picture) was pulled down in the 1960s to make way for a new library, police station and magistrate’s court. ...

2019-01-05T15:58:29+00:00May 16th, 2018|Cardall's Corner, Places|0 Comments

Henry Lilley Smith

Cardall's Corner - April 2018 - By Pam McConnell

The 13th April this year marks the 200th anniversary of a meeting held at the Craven Arms Inn that established Southam’s Eye and Ear Infirmary in Warwick Road. In the days before the NHS, all medical treatment had to be paid for, and this Infirmary in Southam was the first of its ...

2021-06-14T14:57:22+01:00April 4th, 2018|Cardall's Corner, People, Places|0 Comments

Southam Coat of Arms

CARDALLS CORNER - December 2017 - by Bill Pease

The arms and crest of Southam are familiar but how many of us know their origins and meaning? They were granted by the College of Arms to Southam Rural District Council on 19th May 1959. The red and silver of the shield are the basic colours of the arms of both Warwickshire County Council and [...]

2020-06-03T17:48:31+01:00December 10th, 2017|Cardall's Corner, Places|0 Comments
Go to Top